Rabies is a dangerous and filthy looking disease. It has a vaccine but has no cure. This disease is horrible as a person can be dead within a few days of getting infected. With all this, you should know that getting vaccinated against rabies is a must if you want to travel to an area or country where you may be prone to getting this disease. It is important to know that if you travel without getting a rabies vaccine, you won’t get covered by your travel insurance policy if you get infected by the disease.
The vaccines used are Rabies or Rabipur. The schedule for this vaccine is a course of three. And each dose costs £90. Every part of the world is at risk of this disease, but the areas at a higher risk are Africa, Asia, and Central America.
The areas where rabies vaccines are needed are the areas with a large number of dogs and bats. The presence of these animals puts the area at a higher risk of this disease. These areas include India, Brazil and Thailand. It is essential to get vaccinated before travelling to these areas.
Rabies is a disease that is spread through the bites of animals and humans or the scratch of an infected animal or person. It can infect any animal that is warm-blooded including dogs, monkeys, foxes, bats and humans.
There are different types of rabies, and the symptoms experienced in every infection depends on the type contracted. 80% of rabies cases have hydrophobia (the fear of water) as a symptom for those with a particular form of this disease while the other 20% will experience muscle weakness, paralysis, loss of sensation but without hydrophobia. This 20% is said to have contracted a paralytic form of the disease.
The early and most frequent symptoms present in rabies are similar to that of flu, and they have a possibility of lasting for a few days. These signs are:
As a traveller with plans of staying long or having regular travels, you will need to be vaccinated against rabies. The inoculation has a course of three injections which are given at about 21-28 days, which is 3-4 weeks. With this, early planning is necessary.
Those who will be working or living in areas with a high risk of rabies will need to get a pre-exposition injection. This injection is usually given at least 14 days before travelling.
If you get bitten or scratched, you will need to get medical attention within 24 hours; it doesn’t matter whether you have been inoculated or not. Getting treated fast is important because of how severe the disease is and because with the bites of humans come many other infections.
The first thing to be done is to wash the wound with plenty of soap and hot running water before covering the wound with a clean dressing. If you have already had shots of rabies within the time frame, you will be advised to go for booster shots to enable you to resist the disease.
If you are overseas and you need urgent advice, contact the HPA on 00442082004400.
You can get rabies vaccination (Rabipur, Rabies BP and Verorab) and all you need to know about it from us. We specialise in all kinds of travel vaccinations and with us, you can be sure you have gotten all you need at the time you need it. You are always welcome to visit us and get your issues handled by our experienced and qualified experts.
You can visit us or call us at 02037457527 to book an appointment or find out about rabies vaccination.
This vaccine lasts for 10 years after which you will need a booster. If you are a health worker, you will enjoy other frequent boosters.
Comparing to the disease, the side effects are far less serious. You may experience some low key reaction at the site of the injection. Some of these reactions involve pain, redness and inflammation. Flu is also a side reaction that may be experienced by some people.
A dose of the vaccine costs £90, and the three doses will cost £270. This price is worth the benefits.
To reduce your risk of contracting rabies, it is advisable to stay away from domestic animals no matter how healthy they look. Wild animals should also be avoided, especially if they look ill and sick, and stray dogs should be reported to the authorities. When planning on adopting a new pet when you travel or taking your old pet abroad, get them vaccinated against this disease and keep them away from wild animals.
Do you want to book an appointment for a rabies inoculation? Or will you like to find out more about rabies? Feel free to come to us at Suit F, 117A Harley St, Marylebone, London W1G 6AT UK. We are here for you.